- The first four numbers symbolize the harmony of the spheres and the Cosmos as:
- (1) Unity (Monad)
- (2) Dyad – Power – Limit/Unlimited (peras/apeiron)
- (3) Harmony (Triad)
- (4) Kosmos (Tetrad).
- The four rows add up to ten, which was unity of a higher order (The Dekad).
- The Tetractys symbolizes the four elements—fire, air, water, and earth.
- The Tetractys represented the organization of space:
- the first row represented zero dimensions (a point)
- the second row represented one dimension (a line of two points)
- the third row represented two dimensions (a plane defined by a triangle of three points)
- the fourth row represented three dimensions (a tetrahedron defined by four points)