The sacrificer, the sacrificed, and the beneficiary of the sacrifice are one.
“Some people continue to defend trickle-down theories which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and inclusiveness in the world,” Francis wrote in the papal statement. “This opinion, which has never been confirmed by the facts, expresses a crude and naive trust in the goodness of those wielding economic power and in the sacralized workings of the prevailing economic system.”
“Meanwhile,” he added, “the excluded are still waiting.”
- Greg Mankiw vs.The Pope (economicpolicyjournal.com)
- Pope no fan of ‘trickle-down’ theory (politico.com)
- Editorial: Capitalism doesn’t merit papal slam (ocregister.com)
- Trickle-down Economics (johnhaydeninmd.com)
- The Pope’s Rhetoric (gregmankiw.blogspot.com)
- The Pope’s Economics (jasonranderson.com)
- “A Pope’s Pointed Message”: Our Sacred Responsibility Is To One Another (mykeystrokes.com)
I am the gadfly of the Athenian people, given to them by God, and they will never have another, if they kill me. And now, Athenians, I am not going to argue for my own sake, as you may think, but for yours, that you may not sin against the God by condemning me, who am his gift to you. For if you kill me you will not easily find a successor to me, who, if I may use such a ludicrous figure of speech, am a sort of gadfly, given to the state by God; and the state is a great and noble steed who is tardy in his motions owing to his very size, and requires to be stirred into life. I am that gadfly which God has attached to the state, and all day long and in all places am always fastening upon you, arousing and persuading and reproaching you. You will not easily find another like me, and therefore I would advise you to spare me.
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
- Science and Religion Harmonized (Once and For All…) (atheistfallacies.wordpress.com)
- Mooney on the Psychology of Evolution Denial [EvolutionBlog] (scienceblogs.com)
- Texas A&M professor blends neuroscience, religion in new course (believervsnonbelievers.wordpress.com)
- Einstein’s famous quote about science and religion (whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com)
- Science & Religion (satyaagni.wordpress.com)
Transcendence of the small individual self.